Welcome Osman Proper's Blog

This blog is meant to answer questions, keep readers up to date on new and upcoming stories, as well as allow me the opportunity to interact with my readers.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to post them or email me directly at osproper@gmail.com.


Friday, May 23, 2014

Touch the Veil excerpt. Sharp's Pussal Larvae Infestation

Touch the Veil excerpt, as promised. This is not a teaser, this is content that never made it into the book due to length.  (Forgive grammar flubs as this never made it to the editors....)
Touch the Veil will be published as soon as edits and cover art is finished, so hopefully you'll enjoy this little bonus.
Enjoy!!





            I stood and stretched, my back ached from crawling the last fifteen acres of Joshua Sharp’s expansive peanut farm, marking out the vast network of subterranean Pussal larva tunnels.  If Sharp had waited any longer to contract my services, the remaining four hundred and eighty five acres would end up in the same disastrous state as the back nine of his fields.
            When I can safely feel my toes again I open the trunk of my Jeep and began pulling out milk jugs filled with neon green liquid.  No lie, it looks like antifreeze under black light.  It’s not antifreeze and as far as I know, it won’t damage Sharp’s crops any more than the Pussal larva already had.  This field wasn't just infested, it was ruined.  If not wiped out, the bastards would spread.  Sharp would lose everything.  And the price of peanuts in Antigone would ratchet up to astronomical heights.  I don’t necessarily care for nuts, excuse me, legumes, but Denise does.
            People usually limit the preternatural community based on what they read.  They’ve lumped them all into varied categories of sentient creatures; vampires, trolls, faeries, shifters, etc.  Truth is and will always be stranger than the greatest fictions.  Every biome has pests, even the preternatural ones.  And that’s exactly what Pussal larva where, pests, big, ugly, crop decimating nightmares that perpetuated world-wide famine.
            Have you ever snuggled with a grub?  Or perhaps turned one over while planting your garden, maybe burying a body?  Well Pussal larva and grubs have a lot in common.  They have a pale white C shaped body, three sets of legs, and a wormy appearance, though that has more to do with their lack of spine and supporting architecture than anything else.  Bulbous brown heads with no discernible eyes.  And both have a dangerous addiction to cellulose, as both were dedicated herbivores.  That’s where the similarities between the grub and Pussal larva end.
Pussal larvae were built like grubs on PCP with a little Miracle Grow thrown in for good measure.  Attached to those similar brown bulbous heads though, Pussal larvae have two sets of mandible jaw pinchers.  One that is meant to capture and hold roots while the other works to push food into its voracious mouth; well they also use them for defense when necessary.  Like ants and bees, Pussal larvae share a hive mind, and have delegated work groups.  They come on like a ravenous horde and don’t leave until they’ve eaten every piece of vegetation they can.  They’ve caused more than their fair share of crop blights and dust bowls.  Soldiers prowled the perimeters to keep away intruders, or would be predators while workers harvest and drag dinner back to the queen.
She’s who I’m here for.  And ten gallons of Wicca fortified insecticide should more than do the job.  Still, I don’t relish the idea of crawling through those tunnels.  They’ll all know I’m there the minute I breech.  And that’s when things will get ugly.  Fifteen acres worth of tunnels, I didn’t need to be a mathematician to know that beneath the soil wormed a venerable army of preternatural creepy crawlies.  It’s enough to make my skin crawl.  Pussal larvae, future B movie stars.  Though they’d have to come up with a better name, something that inspired fear in the masses, grubs just don’t have that violent ring to it.  Not like JAWS.
In an effort to prevent ruining a clean shirt, I slid on my coveralls and began the arduous task of dragging the pest-be-gone toward the center of the field.  This was where Sharp had first noticed the damage.  He’d even marked off the area with bright blue flags, very considerate.  It narrowed down the amount of tunnels I was going to have to crawl through.  I’d make sure to keep that in mind when I tallied his bill.
With each step closer to the circle of blue flags, the ground beneath my feet begins to give.  Behind me, all ten gallons of ultra-preternatural-insecticide were being dragged by a network of cleverly woven bungee cables and climbing carbineers.  If I fell through and landed in the center of their nest, any discount I’d planned on cutting Sharp would be negated.  He hadn’t said anything about the integrity of the ground and it was something he would have noticed.  There was absolutely no way he could drive a harvester over this area.  Details man, details.
I try to tread the brittle terrain the best I can, but the closer I get to those flags, that spindly feeling of dread unfolds in my stomach warning me I’m not going to make it to my destination.  No sooner than the thought forms the ground gave way.
Shiii-
-iiii
-ii
-iit.
When I land, it’s with a firm thud and a freshly blown curse.  Thankfully Mother Nature padded the fall with a convenient pile of rich soil.  Above, the stars were twinkling.  No, not twinkling, they were laughing.  My sudden entry was not cloaked in stealth or masked by loud machinery so they knew I was here.  Quickly my eyes dart from left to right as I use all the power in my legs to bring the gallon containers below with me, one at a time.  At least they hadn’t fallen on my head.  Oh what fun that could have been, my second concussion for the week!  Sadly, it wouldn’t be a new record.
The flashlight mounted to my forehead lit up the tunnel.  Four feet wide, two feet tall, yep, my only navigational option was the belly crawl.  Not the best defensible position if the natives got restless and decided to come at me all mandible wielding ninja style.  For several seconds I studied the walls, the top and bottom of the tunnel, sifting through the remains of roots for signs to follow.  They had front legs, three sets for fucks sake, they should have left something behind, a trail to follow straight to the heart of their compound so I could shove poison down their queen’s throat and use the rest on any and all eggs.  Ew, leaky egg sacks….for a moment that scene in Alien’s plays out on the back of my lids.  The one where the freaky-tentacle-sucker face latched onto the unsuspecting soldier, yep, totally what I needed to be thinking about before crawling down a long dark tunnel into a nest of nasty.
Shaking the imagery of Pussal larva attempting to attach its mandible jaws to my face, I had only one decision to make, sigh, left or right.  Keeping with the tradition of any good dungeon crawl, I went left.     
Left was a bad idea.
Not more than three feet committed and I could hear them snuffling and shuffling through the earthen walls, above and below.  They weren’t in front or behind me yet, but it wouldn’t be long.  Extinction event was put on pause as my flashlight illuminated the path ahead of me, one amber brown mandible peaking around a corner.  Bastards were going to ambush me.  Damn sneaky.
I try to wiggle backward.  It’s a mistake.  The space is too narrow for such an acrobatic feat, and I’m no contortionist.  Even if I was, ten gallons of metaphysical bug spray blocked the backward exodus.  Range of movement was a vital and in this earthen crawl space there wasn’t any.  As the mandibles I’d spotted inch around the corner I slid my hands down my hips.  Bullets were useless down here.  Pussal larvae weren’t much more than fluid filled sacs.  All a bullet would manage, if it hit, was to turn them into pissed off seeping sacs.  Nope, tonight it was all about blades.  Close quarters and closer contact, my favorite.  Some people like roller-coasters I like hand to hand combat.  And yes, I know how incredibly psychotic and suicidal that sounds.  If things went Sasquatch hairy, well, I had a grenade secured to my suit.  A very, very last resort since it wouldn’t kill the infestation, all it would do was collapse their network of tunnels and force them further out into Sharp’s other fields.
My daggers slide from their harness, and for a split second, I revel in their reassuring weight, all 2.2 lethal ounces of it.  I had four others attached to various parts of my body, but these were a personal favorite.  Four inch black skeletonized daggers, one side serrated while the other was sharpened surgeon scalpel smooth.  They slice, dice, and mutilate, making them perfect for the task at hand.
While earlier I cursed the gallons of insecticide for blocking any retreat, I’m grateful for them now, they’ll provide cover so I won’t have to divide my defenses on two positions.  My enemies will come to me.  It’s a very lemon and lemonade assessment.  Battlefield strategy 101.
As if they can hear the tactical wheels in my head spinning, one Pussal larva finally rounds the corner, impatience forcing it to make the first move.  Mandible gnashing, its albino skin so thin the flashlight illuminates its gooey innards.  I’m granted one second to appreciate the melatonin in human skin and all it does to conceal the things we have no business seeing.  Membrane lung sacks, milky tubular intestines, like rolls of puff pastry submerged in white muscadine jelly.  That I’m still in my belly crawl position works to my advantage because its spindly legs force it up so it slides against the earthen roof.  It swings its bulbous head my direction, the larger mandibles snapping to grab me, covering me with rancid spittle.  Instinct, years of training takes over.  One swift left, the serrated edge rips through the viscous membrane of the larva’s exposed abdomen while the scalpel edge of my right blade is shoved through the bulbous skull.  The once soothing dampened earth smell was replaced by a nausea inducing fragrance of rotted fruit.  I’ve pierced a bowel.  Bluish green slime slid down my hand just before I pull my daggers back.  The mandibles take one more wild swing at my face before emitting a low gurgling noise as it choked to death on its own bodily fluids.  A mournful shriek escapes the creature before its body crumples in a fat seeping heap of disgusting.
There was no time to enjoy victory or vomit.  Three more larvae have pushed their way around the corner.  And while smaller, they look absolutely pissed.  Yep, hive mind.  I’m not just an intruder.  I’ve been upgraded, my threat level moved up another level.  Goodie.  Last thing I wanted was a boring night.  It’s not like I had a hot date to cancel or anyone waiting at home.  That this was the highlight of my week was almost pathetic.  If I was a selfless hero I could claim that I was making the world a better place, that I was sacrificing my personal life for the greater good.  But I’m not a hero.  And even without creatures like the Pussal larvae, I’d still have no life.  At least I had purpose, direction.  That meant something didn’t it?
The great quandary over my life’s meaning ends when the encroaching larvae hiss at me, covering me in a new layer of that rancid herbicidal spittle.  It’s a stink slice festival as I turn insides into outsides and wear their entrails like soupy merit badges as I carve my way forward, dragging the insecticide with me as I inch deeper to find an army of rabid mandibles waiting around the corner.  It’s going to be a long night.
Time lost meaning as I crawled and carved a swath through the Pussal horde.  While time consuming and nasty, they weren’t exactly the smartest or toughest creatures I’ve ever dealt with.  Their hive mind had a down side, their shared consciousness meant they all thought the same, fought the same, and had the exact same weaknesses.  They were used to fighting small mammals, rabbits or raccoons that mistakenly crawled into their tunnels looking for an easy meal.  They’d likely never encountered predator like me, so they weren’t prepared for how to deal with me.  The confined space worked more to my advantage than theirs.  Their vast numbers meant nothing in the narrow confines.  They couldn’t overwhelm me, or sneak up from behind.  They were forced to face me head on-er-mandible on?  And I dug into battle, no longer nauseated by the smell, no longer gagged by the noises my blades made as I carved their gelatinous bodies.  I became a machine, muscle memory and adrenaline taking over as humanity fell away to hard-wired survival instinct.  The animal beneath the civilized veneer, it’s in all of us, but mankind likes to pretend we’re not the most vicious predator on the planet.  I’m not afraid of it.  I own it.  Some people have an eye for numbers, others build things.  Death is what I do.  And damn if I’m not good at it.
I slide through the gaping maw entrance to the main nest.  Bodies fall to the ground around me, landing in wet thwapping heaps.  I’m bruised and my ankle sang in mild agony, but it’s nothing a hot shower won’t cure.  Considering the mandible militia I’d just carved through, I actually came away better than I should have.  It’s not that I was that good.  Any redneck with a Bowie knife could have done the same thing, but it would have taken longer.  Without sparing the corpses a second glance, I pull the bungee cord tethering the gallons of unconventional bug killer down.  One by one, I tug them out of the tunnel and set them on the ground, unhooking them from my throbbing ankle.  Should have bracketed them to my hip, but you know what they say about hindsight right.
It doesn’t take a genius to know I’m in the nest and the horn for a retreat has been blown.  There’s no way I killed all the Pussal larvae.  My flashlight illuminated the room, moving with my head as it swivels from left to right and back again, like a typewriter.  Sure enough the brood queen is sitting there, blind-fat-and nine times bigger than any of the larvae I’d encountered in the tunnels.  Attached to her backside is an embryonic sac, with hundreds of soccer ball sized eggs.  Damn, that was enough larvae to eliminate all the vegetation in the tri-county area.  The brood queen lacked mandibles like the others.  She shouldn’t need them.  After all, she had an army to defend her.  Well, had, was the operative word there.  I might not have killed them all but I’d put a dent in her forces.
I look at her size and then give the ten gallons of poison a skeptical glance.  I sure hope I brought enough to do the job…..
She knew I was there but for all my menace she doesn't make a sound.  No gaseous hissing, no watery warbling.  Her big head just tracked my movements, following me as I shouldered the poison and dragged it closer.  While I assessed the best route to climb the gelatinous mountain, she studies me.  I’m going to have to pour at least four gallons down her throat.  The rest I’ll have to apply to the eggs she’s already laid.  When you destroy a large group of people, its mass murder, maybe even genocide if you've got a real hate on for who they are or what they stand for.  When you lay waste to an entire community of larvae, it’s called larvicide.  Somewhere, someone will read this and think me a monster.  That I’m destroying creatures I shouldn't.  PETA will add me to their ever lengthening list of chronic offenders.  I should feel guilty right?  I don’t.
First, these creatures don’t belong here.  They aren't of this world and I don’t have a way to send them back to where they belong.  Second, Pussal larvae do not get full.  They eat.  And eat.  And eat.  Until there is nothing left but barren soil.  So it wasn't just Sharp’s peanuts in danger here.  It was the entirety of Antigone’s flora.  Unchecked, they’d create another prodigious famine.  Thirdly, and most importantly, I’m a humanist.  And in the coin toss of them-or-us existence, I’ll choose us every-single-fucking-time.  Someone has to be willing to make these decisions and carry the consequences because no one else likes the weight of it.  Next time you eat peanuts, remember this.  Next time you give your kid the apple he’s been begging for, remember this.  And maybe you won’t thank me, if I've done my job right you won’t even know I've done anything at all.  You’re welcome.  Now point the judgment elsewhere while I finish my work.
The ascent was treacherous, finding and keeping your footing on a waterbed, and the brood queen’s body is very much like a waterbed.  Despite the pain I’m inflicting with my climb, the brood mother remained still, silent.  And this unnerves me.  As if she’s accepted the defeat.
When I make it to her head, I have to trap it with my arm and anchor it, though she doesn't fight, the last thing I need to do is lose my damned footing and land on my ass in this chamber.  With my arm around her golden brown head, her mouth is forced open.  Using my free hand I pop the first bottle of poison, and turn it up.
“It will be quick,” I promise, and painless I think but don’t say.  It will taste like honey suckle sugar.  Second gallon, she’s guzzling it down.
Third.
Fourth.
As the last of the sticky sweet poison drips out, the empty bottle falls to the cavern floor with the others, landing with a hollow thump.  She still isn’t fighting me, so I loosen my grip on her neck.  The poison has to work its way through her digestive track and right into the eggs in her belly, the ones in her birthing canal.   I can feel her insides quiver beneath me as the poison finally hits home.
I dismount her carefully, knowing when she falls I don’t want to be anywhere near her.  I back away, letting the poison finish what I started.  The brood queen’s once tall and foreboding body arches, tilting awkwardly before landing inches away from the tip of my boots.  I wipe my face with a grimy sleeve, my eyes stinging from some kind of dirt I must have gotten in them.  I can’t physically cry, haven’t been able to for years, so it’s debris I’m wiping away, not phantom tears.
Guilt doesn't live here.

Humans win; every-single-fucking-time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment